Perched upon a hill on the Archabbey’s sprawling campus, the Monte Cassino Shrine is a special place dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The history of Monte Cassino Shrine tells how a novena to Our Lady of Monte Cassino is credited for saving the village of St. Meinrad from a smallpox epidemic in 1871. The faith that God's people placed in the intercession of Mary more than 140 years ago has not waned. Since the chapel's dedication in 1870, thousands of people have visited the sandstone chapel to offer their prayers and petitions.
Due to aging over time, a campaign was started to raise funds to make needed improvements and repairs to the deteriorating building. The restoration included stabilization of the sandstone chapel, beautifying the grounds and installation of the first HVAC system. In collaboration with a well-known art restoration company, Conrad Schmitt Studios, the original murals in the chapel were preserved and enhanced with new lighting. A new pathway leading to a Marian prayer garden was also installed.
With the restoration complete, patrons are enjoying the newfound comfort and beauty. The project also ensures this sacred place will serve its purpose for years to come.